01
Aug
11

Glued up center foot shell

So having cut off the skirts, I glued up the center foot shell.

And a few more…

I tacked it together with the steel stik JB putty, and then googled for what sort of glue to use for aluminum, on which subject people had some very complex ideas, so I again ignored all available advice, and out of simplicity and cheapness I used…

yup, E-6000 silicone.

I’ve let it dry for maybe 6 hours then un-taped it just now (I had used masking tape to hold it together for gluing, just as i would do with styrene) and snapped these photos. I’ll let it set up for a few days to let the glue get to its full strength, then begin sanding and bondo work on it.

Outer feet still need the skirts cut off, then I can try to glue those up as well. I may also want to reinforce these with….something. Maybe just random superglued bits of styrene, or perhaps little bent aluminum scraps. Something to enhance the joints here, as it’s just 1/16″ sheet, not a lot of surface to stick to for the glue so far.

Ideally I would of course have these welded, but I am far too impatient to wait till I figure out how/when/how much that would be, and even then doubt I could afford to have it professionally done anyways.

hopefully they will hold up once reinforced, time will tell.



December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Jan    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Recent Comments

    Login to Chat
    Enter Nick:
    developed by wordpress experts